Thanks to its antioxidant properties, pomegranate juice could reduce high blood pressure and oxidative stress in the blood, which would lead to a decrease in atherosclerotic lesions.
Many people are concerned about the issue of clogged arteries, which is becoming more common all over the world due to poor diet and sedentary lifestyles, which increase blood cholesterol levels considerably. What many still do not know is that this health problem can be prevented and naturally combated with a simple drink that can be prepared at home.
Recent research has determined that pomegranate extract may help prevent or reverse atherosclerosis, which is a pathology that occurs when there is a progressive thickening of the coronary arteries caused by the accumulation of fatty materials. The research, published in the journal Atherosclerosis, showed that pomegranate can help uncover the arteries when they accumulate a large amount of cholesterol.
To reach this conclusion, the researchers experimented with rodents with coronary problems, who were given pomegranate extract for a long period. After the investigation, they concluded that the consumption of pomegranate was determinant to avoid that the rodents suffered from more accumulation of plates in the arteries and, in turn, to avoid the hardening of the same ones.
In this research on the benefits of pomegranate extract to clear arteries also found important benefits such as:
- It has the ability to reduce levels of oxidative stress.
- It can reduce the chemotactic protein of monocytes-1, a chemical messenger (chemokines) associated with inflammatory processes within the arteries.
- It may reduce cardiac enlargement.
- Reduces the accumulation of fats in the heart muscle.
- It can reduce the infiltration of macrophages into the heart muscle.
- Reduces disturbances on the ECG.
Why a simple fruit like pomegranate is so good for the heart?
All these benefits of pomegranate are mainly due to its high content of antioxidants, which include vitamin C and polyphenols. According to the two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling, one of the major causes of cardiovascular disease is vitamin C deficiency.
In addition, the pomegranates have an important anti-inflammatory power that plays a fundamental role in the prevention of heart problems. Thanks to these properties, pomegranates would help reduce high blood pressure, are good for blood circulation and boost the immune system to prevent infections.
Pomegranate juice to lower cholesterol and clear clogged arteries
This powerful pomegranate and apple juice has a high concentration of substances such as flavonoids, tannins and fiber, responsible for reducing cholesterol and promote clearing of clogged arteries.
How to prepare it?
Wash the fruits thoroughly to remove residues of pesticides or bacteria. Peel the pomegranate and cut it together with the apples into large pieces. It is then processed in a blender, with a little water to facilitate the blending and consume it immediately.
Other Important Benefits of Drinking Pomegranate Juice
In addition to helping to clean arteries, regular consumption of this pomegranate juice also brings other important benefits to your body:
- It is highly antioxidant: Pomegranate juice has a high antioxidant power that could help reduce oxidative stress in the blood. Research has found that reducing oxidative stress can reduce the size of atherosclerotic lesions by up to 44%.
- It has anticancer properties: Thanks to its high levels of antioxidants, pomegranate juice could also have a significant anticancer action. Numerous research has determined that pomegranate juice could help fight cancer, not by curing it, but by destroying and inhibiting the growth of malignant cells. Studies have determined that people who drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily may slow the progression of prostate cancer.
- Ally for weight loss: Pomegranate juice is also a good ally for those people who want to have a healthy weight. Consuming this juice as a supplement to diet and exercise, you can burn fat more easily and get results in less time than expected. This benefit is due to its action to eliminate the toxins of the organism and its capacity to increase our energy.
- Strengthens the immune system: The antioxidant components of pomegranate juice also make it an excellent ally of the immune system. It is ideal to increase the defenses and to have a protective barrier against viruses, bacteria and fungi.